Monday, October 17, 2011

Divided We Fall



“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do, or think as you think, or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”- Malcolm X

   For those of you that know me personally, you should know how passionate I am about equality. I'm not only talking about my people here; I'm referring to ALL people. All races, creeds, and ethnic groups.  I take that shit seriously, if for no other reason than we all deserve an equal opportunity to be the best we can possibly be. I'm a firm believer that each person has the ability to change their current situation, if given a chance. I believe that when you take desire, combined with talent and a strong work ethic, you will find success. Of course minorities haven't always been given a level playing field in this country, Blacks in particular. That's a fact, and can't be logically disputed. With that being said, however, the time to stop blaming others for what goes on in our communities has long since passed, if indeed there was ever a time for it in the first place. It should be crystal clear by now that, the majority of the things that are negatively affecting our community, are self inflicted. As a Black man, I'm tired of hearing other Black men put each other down. Where's the sense in that? If I'm doing good, and you're not, what sense does it make for me to disparage you, when I could be trying to help you to do better? For me to join in the sea of negativity does us no good as a people. It only serves as confirmation to others that we have no unity. For my sisters, same goes for you. Don't put each other down. You're better than that. Self worth can't be found in the brand of purse you wear or in the style of shoes on your feet. That brother or sister you're talking about may be going through something. Maybe they need some guidance. Maybe they need someone to talk to. My point being, if you're not going to help in a productive way, don't help in trying to tear them down. There's enough people already doing that already. Obviously, you can't help everyone, but as a people, we have to do better. We can be better. Change starts with us.  

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly why I know you will one day be an adept social worker. I love this! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete